The 5 Best 1940s Harley Davidson Bikes
Harley Davidson rose to fame as a brand famous for a motorcycle in the popular years of the 90s. Since this period was the start of the motorcycle revolution, the company was able to make its name as a big brand during this time. Among the famous Harley Davidson motorcycles, the 1940s Harley Davidson was some of the best bike years for the company. Many models which belong to the period of the 1940s Harley Davidson were seen to be successful and earned big fame for the company. The 1940s Harley Davidson managed to gather a huge fan base for them and the number of motorcycle enthusiasts kept growing during this time especially for his brand.
Among the 1940s Harley Davidson, one highlight model was the 1949 Harley Davidson FL Hydra-Glide motorcycle. This bike was hit among the riders for various reasons such as the design of the bike, for giving a comfortable ride and for having a larger front brake. The introduction of the refined version of the ‘Panhead engine' the big news of the given year was the start of the ‘Hydra-Glide' front forks. This was seen as a replacement for the earlier leading-link forks. This design was seen as a modern telescopic design which gave way to great travel and also giving great heights of comfort.
Though there was this issue with the rear suspension, which required years to be developed. By this period, it was seen that a number of motorcycles moved to foot-shift transmissions, which was also considered to be a time off for the FL series motorcycles. This one still used the foot clutch and the hand shifter. One other model famous in the 1940s Harley Davidson category was the 1947 Harley-Davidson Servi-Car. This was however made particularly for the auto repair shops in order to make house calls. In case the mechanic was not able to solve the issue with the available tools in the box hen there was the option to hitch his mount to the rear side of the car with the help of a tow bar and take it to the garage.
The servi-cars were even seen to be used for parking enforcement purposes. One example is the Milwaukee Police Department, which uses the bike for the same purpose. In this case, since the cars were on the right, the throttle is present on the left. Servi-cars had a three-speed transmission with reverse and were powered by 45-cubic-inch flathead V-twin. Then there was the Harley Davidson XA motorcycle and the 1942 Harley Davidson WLA which were both used for the military purposes during the second world war.
The Harley Davidson WLAs were the most common motorcycles used for this purpose. Looking at the 1948 Harley Davidson FL motorcycle there were a number of changes made in regards to the design of the motorcycle. There were more changes seen after the war. In the year 1948, there was this new engine production facility opened in the areas of Wisconsin and Wauwatosa which are closer to the Milwaukee facility.